Act Justly

The other day I was sitting, with my blogger screen open, asking God what He would have me write.

I love cultivating this blog ministry and watching how God is using it for His glory. Love it, love it, love it. Something that I've been pressed to continue to share with all of you is along the theme of Identity. We've touched on it here and there but, it's something that I truly believe God wants you to hear.

When it comes to our stories, we've probably given ourselves lots of different labels. We've had others give us labels. Sometimes they are flattering and other times they create deep wounds.

I shared about how I had labelled myself as the "fat girl" on a previous post. That post received a lot of attention. It's clear that women relate to that type of label. You know, the label that isn't uplifting or truth but... we embrace it anyway.

Another label I had, quite proudly, given myself was "just not good enough". There came a point in my life that I plopped on the ground from exhaustion and trying so hard and decided, "I'm just not good enough."

Where did this feeling come from? It came from focusing on all the areas of my life that I felt didn't measure up. There were rolls I wanted to have in certain situations and I didn't get it. There were jobs I applied for and didn't even get an interview. There were opportunities I put myself out for and didn't get chosen.

Just. Not. Good. Enough.

I focused so much on those situations that I was missing out on the amazing things God was doing. Because my focus was placed on everything that felt wrong, I didn't have the right frame of mind to welcome and celebrate all that was right.

We all do it don't we? And when we share our stories with other women, it's nice to confess that because then we don't feel like such goobers. At least I don't. I'm not sure why but, it wasn't until my early 30's that all these women started to confess the same feelings I was having.

Whaaaa? Where were all of you when I was struggling? Why didn't you share you were feeling the same way? The crazy part was, some of these women were the ones who were receiving the roles and responsibilities that I had wanted!

We are all a very insecure group aren't we?

Let's change that.
He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. 
Micah 6:8
Act justly. Love mercy. Walk humbly.

This verse came into my life about 10 years ago. It changed how I viewed my self worth, security in God, life goals and where my mindset should be in all areas life.

Act justly.
What does that mean? It means my actions need to be truthful and fair. I need align my choices with God's truth and what He expects of me.

Love mercy.
What does that mean? It means that I embrace compassion. In any shape or form. Because guess who showed me ultimate compassion when I so didn't deserve it? Clue: Cross. Jesus. Death. For me.

Walk humbly.
What does that mean? Yes, I may boast in the glorious goodness that is Jesus but, it also means that I'm not proud or self-righteous.

When all these things come into play, this identity label of "just not good enough" dissolves. When I am acting justly, loving mercy and walking humbly, it keeps my focus on Jesus. When I keep my focus on Jesus, I get to see all the amazing opportunities he has placed before me and my new label is "worthy daughter of the king."

I like that label so much better, don't you?



***
How about you?

Are you feeling "not good enough" at the moment? If not, think about the moment that switched for you. How can you share that with others? And, how are you feeling right now with acting justly, loving mercy and walking humbly?


Popular Posts