Why God Makes Us Hang Out With People


We stood somewhere in the vicinity of mile 22 smack dab in the middle of Chinatown in Chicago, IL. The four of us were decked out in our cheering gear - complete with silly orange sunglasses, beads, festive t-shirts, and colorful signs. From the front of the crowd we could easily see the names on the runner´s shirts, and so my daughter led our acclamations of ¨You're doing great! You've got this! You've come so far!¨

My sister-in-law and my girls and I were proud to be cheering-on the runners at the Chicago Marathon. Happy to be support staff for the day.









We had gotten to see brother Joe at miles 3 and 11. Then we took 2 trains and a hefty walk to get ourselves to mile 22 where we would greet him for the second half of his trek. But after a while of watching for his extravagant man-beard to appear in the midst of the runners, and spotting him no where, his wife began to suspect he may have been struggling with an injury of some kind.

She messaged him and her hunch was confirmed. After IT pain struck around mile 12, he stopped at an Aid station at mile 13 to see if there was anything they could do. Some stretches and a massage, it was feeling better and they sent him on his way.
Half a mile down the road the pain was back.

Aid station #2 proved to be more beneficial, but a few miles later a combination of other pains cropped up. Training had gone so well, these developments were disappointing to say the least. Joe wasn't running competitively, but he had high hopes for his 4th marathon to be an improvement on the last.

Instead by mile 18 he was alternating running with walking. He paired up with a fellow runner who was struggling with similar challenges.

When they finally made it to mile 22, they jogged in place as they told us about their trek. Joe and his new friend Aaron (they had never met before) looked ahead at the remaining miles with some frustration. But they had both set out to finish and so as they rejoined the throng of runners at mile 22, their frustration was muted by determination. They would finish.

They walked away and my 11 year old watched them for a moment and then turned around and declared, "At least he's not alone!"

Amen, daughter. Amen.

I was a bit startled by the truth of her observation. Of all the things I would NOT want to do, towards the top of my list would be walk/run 5 miles in pain. But I would certainly rather suffer through it with a partner, versus take it alone.
It's like that with everything, isn't it?

I'm the first to say people are complicated and annoying and half the time I'd rather just hole myself up away from all those difficult situations that involve humans. But as much I tell myself life would be easier if I only had to worry about myself, I find myself seeking out my friends for advice and companionship pretty much all the time.

Sure it would be great if we never disagreed and people always responded the way I think they should.
But I know dealing with others is a way that God is honing and refining me so I can better understand who He is. And what it means to love.
Because I have been forced to interact with the world (sometimes against my will), I've learned how powerful forgiveness is.
I've discovered the potential of prayer - both for the one praying and the one who needs those prayers.
Because I can't escape my community, I better understand grieving and anger and anxiety.
I appreciate honesty and sincere compassion and the power of both.
I see the gray that makes life so hard when we were told it would be black and white.

At least we are not alone.

After my brother finished (yay!) he too sang the praises of having a companion for the duration of the hardest parts. He had seen Aaron earlier in the race when Aaron had stopped for a short break due to his own unexpected pain. Joe had asked him if he was ok and could keep going and Aaron had responded he could. About 10 miles down the road Aaron came upon Joe struggling. "It's my turn," he had said. "You can do this."


You are not alone. 




God has put us into communities for multiple reasons, not the least of which is so we can encourage and lift one another up. 


Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up!Ecclesiastes 4:9-10


But he also puts us into relationship with each other,
 so we can better understand relationship with Him


The Lord is near to the broken-hearted and saves the crushed in spirit. Psalm 34:18

So we can confidently say, 

The Lord is near. Philippians 4:5b
The Lord is my helper; I will not fear; what can man do to me? Hebrews 13:6 

When we know what it's like to have a helper, then we can appreciate the promises of the Lord to always be near. We've all been alone. We know what that feels like.

We also know what it feels like to be separated from someone. God's promises include His constant, unfailing love and how He cheers over you with gladness when you seek Him.  


For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-49


The Lord your God is in your midst, a mighty one who will save; he will rejoice over you with gladness; he will quiet you by his love; he will exult over you with loud singing. Zephaniah 3:17


I took my daughters to the marathon to learn about the city and the run and the people. There was some of that. But the lessons we brought home had everything to do with community, relationship, and the comfort and cheers God provides through the people around us.




Popular Posts