I wish I would have... part deux

Last week I wrote about all the "I wish I would have's".

You know, those decisions in your life that you wonder what would have happened differently if you'd made a different choice. Such as, trying out for the sports team or not taking on that task, etc., etc., etc. How would my life look now if I had made a different choice? And I kind of wish I would have.

And that's when the screeeeech of the breaks comes in.

Girl... if we made a list of all the things from our past we wish we would have done differently... do you know how long and how much of a waste of time that would be?

Unfortunately, and I'm sure you might catch yourself doing the same, I still fall victim to it. In fact, the other day I was leading worship at my church. I was plunking out some chords on the piano as I ran through a song before the rest of the band showed up. In that moment, I couldn't help but wish I had stuck with piano longer. Maybe I would be able to actually play with the band and feel more confident in playing songs. I struggled a bit finding the right chord as it had been several years since I played and it got me feeling frustrated. In fact, any time I fall into that "I wish" trap, I begin to feel frustrated. And a little depressed.

Today, though, I don't want to dwell too much on wallowing in regret. I want to focus on that shift in perspective that took place when I came to realize that God is was in control. He loves me so much that He reminds me that those choices were not an end. In fact, they have added to my story.

Let's take a look at some scripture.

Trust the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Proverbs 3:5-6 ESV

This verse reminds me that I can trust God no matter what. Whether it's regrets from my past or focusing on right now. I cannot possibly understand nor should I trust my understanding. Instead, I will trust that God has a plan and He will guide me.

Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever you had formed the earth and the world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God. Psalm 90:2 ESV

This verse gives me a bigger perspective. It helps me see the whole picture. There is so much more to this than just me wishing I had done something differently. Yes, my choices may affect other people but, ultimately, there is so much more that I couldn't possibly fathom or understand. God is much more powerful.

Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead. Philippians 3:13 NIV

The context of this verse is Paul expressing to the Philippians that while he doesn't have it all figured out or has the prize in his possession, he is not focusing on the past (regrets and all) and is, instead, moving forward and reaching out to what is ahead.

I love this picture the most. I love how it is a true example of how we should also view those "I wish I would have" moments. Instead of allowing them to sneak into our minds, we must focus on what is ahead with Jesus as our filter. That's a pretty awesome way to live!


***
What about you?
Come join us on our Facebook page as we discuss thoughts about our weekly blog posts. I'd love to hear more from you about how God is refining your story and freeing you from your past.





Popular Posts